One Little Bag: An Amazing Journey (Hardcover)
* "Beautifully effective." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Deeply profound... compelling... emotionally resonant." -- School Library Journal, starred review
* "Elevating the life of an ephemeral object to the time scale of love across generations." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
From a tall tree growing in the forest--
to the checkout counter at the grocery store--
one little bag finds its way into the hands of a young boy on the eve of his first day of school.
And so begins an incredible journey of one little bag that is used
and reused again.
In a three-generation family, the bag is transporter of objects and keeper of memories. And when Grandfather comes to the end of his life, the family finds a meaningful new way for the battered, but much-loved little bag to continue its journey in the circle of life.
About the Author
* "The skilled black-ink drawings lend a look of pleasant harmony to all the characters that populate the pages, from woodland creatures to humans of various ages and gender and racial presentations. Meticulous attention to composition, textures, and period detail-starting around the 1960s-makes each page a delight... Because there are no words, children are left to draw their own conclusions... Beautifully effective as both nostalgia trip and lesson in conservation." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "[The story's] message is deeply profound.... Nostalgia and love abound .... bringing tears to the eyes of readers of all ages with each detailed image.... [A] compelling and emotionally resonant addition to Earth Day curricula, especially as an inspiration for reusing items as long as possible." -- School Library Journal, starred review
* "By elevating the life of an ephemeral object to the time scale of love across generations, Cole nudges readers to take a second look at the things they throw away. An author's note describes how Earth Day prodded Cole to reuse the same paper lunch bag for years." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review